Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Long Walk Home...

God is good. All the time...all the time. I received confirmation today that God has a special place for me in his kingdom. It is not to be admired nor revered, but to work. I was afforded, by diligence and faith, the opportunity to reclaim that which I have worked nearly a decade for-my PhD from Howard University. It matters not, at this moment, why the quest was stalled-or why it felt that way-but it is now a more realistic journey. I was diligent-yes-but God made the way when there was no way. I am indebted to him.

It is that debt that helps me understand that is not the only reason I have been provided with this breakthrough=you see I feel he has important work for me to do and that work is directly connected to the PhD. My good friend-a man I consider family-has a son not but 20 years old lying less than a mile from here in the hospital...shot through the lung while being robbed. He is still with us-there is the blessing from God. He is a great writer-there is the answer from God. The streets he does not belong to, he belongs to God. I am supposed to tell him that.

I am supposed to tell them all that. God needs soldiers. He has given us the symbol of hope in our New President Barak Obama...but he needs foot soldiers. Scholars, educators, teachers...those who bring the message directly to the people-feed them. That is my role. It is real simple to see. I can get through to some folks that others simply cannot. I put together a one-man show, a play of sorts to promote the messages I thought needed to be out there. Right now I think that show needs to change a bit, but in the midst of getting back in school I was going to put it off. But it is in my spirit. It does not have to be the most extravagent of affairs but I still need to do it...real simple, real powerful and focused. Just like with my studying-all focused on the ultimate goal-becoming all that God intended me to be.

But still, though many things have been going well in my life the issue of school played a tremendous role in humbling me as a man. You are not afforded anything without first-God, then hard work, and lastly humility. It can all be taken away at any minute and you can be scrutinized and ridiculed. It takes one moment. Man is inconsistent, and only God is "real" with you all the time. It has been a long walk home, but I am there. Back to where I began this journey not so long ago and prepared to continue to march on to victory.

I had nearly...lost my way
wandered for what seemed like
40 days and 40 nights in the wilderness
Of life
Darkness in the world
nearly allowed my spirit to remain
unclaimed
my dreams unfulfilled
still I could not deny
my very being
the essence of this man
commands the same
as those who first framed the Constitution
those who understood the blueprint
had already been laid
and upon recognition of the
Savior
I was saved
cannot take your talents to
the grave
supposed to lift up others
with your
story
testimony of a man
who had lost his
way
still he took no steps alone
strength is gained in the journey
and thus, I begin...
the long walk home

Copyright 2008

No comments: