Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Thinking About Jesus?

I just have to put this information out for all to see, there is a movie that a good friend of my put me onto, and it has opened in DC. It is a African-American portrayal of the story of Jesus Christ. Now I have yet to check it out, but here is the site for the information: http://www.colorofthecross.com/home.html Now, I know it is playing at Union Station among a few other spots, but you know we have to see it soon as it will be gone sooner than later.

You know it brings about alot of questions...the first being, that I know this is not the first time a black actor has portrayed Jesus, but perhaps the first time it is about to show before a national stage. But I will not open the discussion yet with regard to the race of Jesus...yet. But I will leave some thoughts to ponder. I do not know how many people read or went to the movies to see the DaVinci Code, (book by Dan Brown), but if you did than you will be able to feel me on my next series of thoughts. I read the book, then went to see the movie...and I can say from an objective point of view that I enjoyed the story. But I can never stop at the surface of anything...that would be a travesty, would it not? So, go deeper. If you know the story then the lineage of Jesus and his supposed wife Mary Magdelene still exists...in that they had a child and so on and so forth. Well, by the end of the book and the movie, one of the main characters is supposedly the heir of Jesus...and she is a white woman. Funny, or even more specifically a reinforcement of the "superiority" issue.

In this "superiority" issue, I mean in simple terms that no matter how much evidence seems to be blatantly obvious that Jesus was not white, or at least not a blonde and blue-eyed individual, the mere statement of that fact is enough to cause a hundred year war-no pun intended. But seriously, all may see God in the image of themselves, but as long as you definitively see him as unlike you than you will always, in my humble opinion, feel inferior to those that, well, you see God as. In other words, if you see God as a white man, and you are not that, than in some deep mental place you who believe in this God and praise him, understanding you are less than him will also see yourself, again in some deep internal place, as less than white men in general because, well...they are akin to God...and you, somehow, are not.

Therefore, the Passion of Christ, Jesus Christ Superstar, and the Da Vinci Code are all good stories and could be true if I were a blind man, but when they are cast with straight Anglo-Saxon men, then I must...if I am true to any sort of historical record-to include the Bible itself, I must look at those depictions for what they are-maintenance of the status quo. For if the son of God was white, then God himself must be...ridiculous right? Right? To me it is, but to all others who do not dig beyond the surface of things...then, well, I do not know. Again, I am not arguing the actual color of God, or Jesus for that matter, but simply for the allowance of the thought-that perhaps he could be different than that which has been depicted. There is no penalty for that, is there? For if there is, than my point has been proven. Think about it, and do not lose sight of what is beyond the depiction and that is the reality of the word.

No comments: