Thursday, July 19, 2012

Midwest Spit

So I found myself in Kansas City for a few days this week-on business. But when I am blessed with the ability to travel to a new city I always try to check out the poetry scene. So I fell into this little spot in the 18th and Vine District. It used to be a jazz area, with likes of Byrd and Basie on the scene, so the energy was good. Spot was called the Blue Room-I entered about 9:30pm.

Now I don't know when the set began, but I just checked in with host- when he said the last poet was up and asked could I spit. His exact words were "No problem brother-what's your name?"

Word? Now I been to a many poetry set, and I ain't never received that type of instant love. So, after about fifteen minutes in the spot I closed up the open mic-word. I dropped a classic, Why You Wanna...and I think I repped DC fairly well. Funny, I ain't been on the mic in the District in years-but regardless got love in KC.

Just so cool to travel, and vibe with folks on the artistic tip. Good times. So now I am on a plane on my way back to the East Coast, frustrated with some delays of the day but my headphones are blaring that new Nas, Life is Good, and the memory of the other night leaking out my fingertips-must admit I am cool. Just feeling okay about my space in the universe you know. Honestly, with that energy in my spirit, gotta let it flow...

Like above and beyond
The level I am on
Spiritual plane fly over
Negative things
I reign...king of my situation
Peasant to pleasantries
Not dominated by past mistakes
I have made
My way paved by bearers of
My name
A reflection of he who has seen
Many things
I dress in various shades of gray
Suited for all that may come
Numb to my own indecision
Learn to listen more than
Speak
To some the changes in my person
A reason to question
Me...
Burdened by less than most
Yet still in possession of pain
Thus,
I refrain from allowing the ignorance
Of acts committed yesterday
To limit my progression
Potential
Infinite-outside space and time
The Wisdom
I seek, simply trying to become
Better than he who stares back in the mirror
So I outline my hopes and dreams
In poetic verses over imaginary beats
And proclaim to be MC
Manifesting creativity as I magnify my culture
Mending community to mobilize the collective
A soldier, with more faith than fortune
Methodically committed to the movement of chains from mental
Of all within striking distance
it is essential that I remain
Stay
Majestically cultivated...mellow cool
I be
Momentarily canonized in rhyme and meter
Message caretaker for the sake of memory classification
Place my words amongst your dreams
Move crowds with the melodic cadence of consonants and vowels
See above and beyond all else
I master ceremonies when present
Microphone captivator
Massaging the consciousness of the people
MC...

Copyright 2012

No comments: