Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Iron sharpens iron

Proverbs 27:17 states "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."  I have often used this statement but living it, truly, has been something that I have only done on occasion.  I mean I feel like many of my friends are exactly that for me...iron.  We rap, discuss, debate, argue, celebrate and even admire the growth and progress of one another.  But that was just my friends...I never really interacted on a regular basis with folks in my professional space that well, could sharpen me.  Most recently I have been in this leadership program and for the first time in a long time, I feel different about the work we are doing.  My colleagues and I, all from the same government agency and kind of at the middle management level, are in the program together and I must say...it has really inspired me.

The funny thing about inspiration, is often you want to be inspired but nothing has happened to bring about that emotion.  In other words, inspiration is always on the cusp of occurring, at least for some...it just needs the moment to be called forth.  So, in that vain, being in class with a group of people that kind of see the world differently and also feel that they can evoke change in a major government institution-well, it is inspiring.  Still, inspiration is just the catalyst for any substantial change you are willing to "work" to make.  I say it like that because if there is no work, there is no change.  Inspiration in that way, is a good hymnal on Sunday morning, but no sermon.

So, the leadership team has been inspired, even challenged, to bring about change in our organization.  Now, change is one of those words that at times is used as a noun-like it is this thing...but change in my opinion should always be a verb.  A verb means there is action behind the word-it is not stationary or static.  It is moving, growing, developing...changing.  The folks that I am in the group with, they want to be that.  It is crazy, I mean I may be one of the youngest folks there but age does not matter-or it doesn't have to-if you are passionate about making an impact.  I have been to alot of trainings and getting hype on what is "possible" has occurred before-but as stated earlier not with people in my same lane.  I want that to matter...so, it does.

It is essential, even beyond this leadership moment I feel like I am having right now, to continue to ebb and flow with folks who are eagles.  Eagles look to soar, high above all else and find their nesting place in the sky.  I want to soar...never touch the earth you know.  High above all the issues that can remove you from your purpose.  But, it is very hard to do when all around you is unlike you.  You find yourself misaligned.  It is a shame that there are times when it seems that more folks would be happier if you were to fail than succeed, but that is the reality for many people.  I realized early in life that I was not to be, well, what the youth of today call a "hater".  Why?  I mean, I have been envious of others many times-and even had to stop myself from "questioning" others' success.  I understand that as a human, emotions at times rise within us...but for it to get to the level of hating, well that is more than I am comfortable with.

If you keep strong folks around you, you are stronger.  I gain energy off of positive people in motion.  The blessing is that God has always placed these types of people in my path.  This iron, that only he knew was necessary for me to ascend and do the work he would have me do.  So in turn, I try to pay it forward, and be that piece of iron for others around me.  Look at them and see beyond the now and into the what is supposed to be.  I realize that encouragement and motivation are free.  So I provide them willingly.  Never know what a powerful message a bit of encouragement can be to someone-regardless of his or her situation or social status.

We all need to evaluate ourselves at times.  Make sure that we are progressing at a speed relative to those we find commonality with.  In other words, life is not a race, nor a competition, but it is a path that we all have to travel, that is best endured with company.  Company should not weigh you or slow you down, but assist and speed you up...at least keep pace.  Iron.  The people around you should make you want to be better, and you should return the favor.  It only makes sense...you are the company you keep.  Iron.

 

No comments: